The Control Tower is a very rare surviving example of a WW2 RAF control tower. It is home to the majority of the museum’s collection of smaller artefacts and memorabilia. Items on display range from aero engines and aircraft armaments to letters and other personal items.
The top floor of the tower features a large room laid out as a control room – as it would have been during World War 2. The windows of the control room offer a clear view across what was once the RAF Dumfries airfield and the furniture and equipment on display are typical of the period.
The Control Tower is a three-storey free-standing building of precast concrete built in 1940. Because of its rarity and history, the building was listed as an historic building by Historic Scotland in 2006.