The Dassault Mystere was a 1950’s French fighter developed from the Ouragon aircraft. The Mystere 2C was the first production version and it first flew in February 1951. 150 were built and used by the French Armee de l’Aire throughout the 1950’s and then relegated to a trainer. It was finally retired in 1963.
They were replaced by the IVa version, which first flew in September 1952. Just over 410 were built, including 110 for India and 61 for Israel. The first 50 aircraft were built with Rolls Royce Tay engines and the balance with a licence-built version of the Tay engine, the Hispano-Suiza Verdon.
The French aircraft were ordered and paid for by the United States under offshore contracts, whose custody they were returned to upon retirement during the 1980’s.
The French had 6 Squadrons of Mystere IVs and they saw action during the Suez Crisis. 3 Squadrons were give the title “La Patrouille de France” – the official display team of France, between 1956 and 1963, and displayed using Mystere IV’s.
The Museum’s aircraft is a IVa, serial number 318, and can be found displayed outside, near the car park.