Scottish Aviation Twin Pioneer
The Twin Pioneer was built by Scottish Aviation at Prestwick as a STOL (short take off / landing) transport aircraft for the RAF. Designed to fly from short runways with poor surfaces it featured a large high-lift wing, twin Alvis Leonides radial engines, a sturdy undercarriage and triple fins and rudders.
First flown in 1955 and entering service the following year, the Twin Pioneer was an agile aircraft at low speeds, and required an area only 30m by 275m to operate. When being test flown at Prestwick, it was rumoured that the aircraft often took off on the way to the runway, or even across it, as so little space was needed before the aircraft became airborne.
Retired by the RAF in 1968 after doing sterling service in the middle east and in the jungles of Borneo, the Twin Pioneer was used by civilian companies operating in areas of the world where no airstrips really existed. The cockpit we have on display came from an aircraft last used on survey work by Flight One Ltd which was scrapped in 1992.
On loan from a group of private enthusiasts, the Twin Pioneer is displayed undercover next to the Buccaneer.